6.5 Fly wt project

If you melt, pour and size it, put it here.

Moderator: nooneimportant

Blammer

6.5 Fly wt project

Postby Blammer » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:15 am

Ok here is the full detail of the project.

I have a Swedish Mauser 6.5x55, normal military one...

I bought a LOT of the wooden blanks, thinking that the wooden projectile would be fun for paper punching at 25yds, lots of boom, no recoil.

Well, the wooden bullets won't make it to the target before self destruction.

I had some of the brass cap/bullet gallery loads and they were the most fun I've had in a long time....

Here is where the ideas collide.

Get a SMALL FLY wt GC bullet, like say 53gr or so, size with GC and tumble lube with the new BLL stuff, pull the wooden bullet necksize and seat the new projectile. Tadaa, cheap gallery loads and lots of fun.

I'll pull a few measure the charge of powder in it, reduce it and work up to the normal charge to make sure all is fine.

I could not find a mould I wanted until..

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=2310

Got one on the way!
Then, let the fun begin!
Sometimes you have to ignore the "good idea fairy"

Please stop telling me "That can't be done" while I'm doing it, it's just plain annoying.

Blammer

Re: 6.5 Fly wt project

Postby Blammer » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:38 pm

Update on the project.

I got my NOE mould, they cast beautiful bullets.

Then I went to size them, no sizers the size I needed.

NOE to the rescue again, picked up a sizer body and a few different sizers. His stuff is top drawer.

Played around a bit then was ready to size and seat some GC's on my new 57 gr fly wts.

No GC's in 6.5! Arrgh! Finally got some.

Seated GC, sized them, lubed them with BLL.

Next I pulled some wooden bullet blanks, poured out the powder, kept primed brass.

The powder was square flake stuff and 24gr was in each blank.

Resized and flaired the neck only in the 6.5's, thank again NOE for the exact neck sizer/flair tool for it.

Loaded 12gr of above powder into the case seated the bullet in the case, to the crimp groove, and then slight crimp.

What made it fun was trying to seat the bullet in a normal seating die. Most 6.5 projectiles are very long and pointy, and as a result the seating stem won't go far enough down to seat the bullet, and since most bullets are pointy and not flat nose, this posed a problem. With a bit of outside of the box thinking I got the bullet seated. I just turned the seating stem upside down. You know the part you use a small screwdriver to adjust the seating stem with? That part was what was pushing the bullet into the case. Yea it looks funny but it works.

This project has been in the works for several months now... getting bullet mould, 1 month,getting sizer, one month, getting GC's, one month, etc.....

FINALLY shot two rounds today.

They fed through the magazine easily and were fairly accurate at 25 yds with no recoil to speak of! Nice loud boom, good accuracy, no leading and well, dare I say it, cheap. hahahahahahahaha, sorry just couldn't resist.

photobucket screwed everyone, updating pictures

Please stop telling me "That can't be done" while I'm doing it, it's just plain annoying.

Blammer

Re: 6.5 Fly wt project

Postby Blammer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:21 am

shot a round into milk jugs of water. Totally blew the first one apart and flung it off the table the second one had two holes in it and the third one captured the projectile, but just barely. I shot more milk jugs and the next time the bullet bounced off the back of the second gallon jug and stayed in the second one.

It mushroomed VERY nicely, and weighed 56 grs from the original 57 it started with.

Return to “Casting and sizing bullets”